RMIT has set a due date for course guides and Canvas course approval 2 weeks before semester starts. This is generally in effect for HE and VE but negotiable at a school level if program managers make it known the deadline can't be met.
Below are the range of sessions and support services available to help program and course coordinators meet this deadline.
The big picture: 10 steps to preparing a course for delivery at RMIT:
1. HR Onboarding of sessional staff - Start as early as possible, and keep pursuing its resolution as often as possible until completed. Help via HR Assist email
2. Course curriculum ready for offering - See your Program Manager and/or College Senior Advisor Learning and Teaching (SALT) for advice
4. Course guides finished and published in CAPS - See your Program administrator for system help or email firstname.lastname@example.org and quote your course code
5. Check course setup and sections in SAMS - See your Program Manager to check, and see your Program Administrator or email email@example.com and quote your course code for assistance in changing details
7. Schedule your course Timetable - Refer to MyTimetabling.
10. Submit student results - firstname.lastname@example.org or speak to your nominated program administration staff member.
School and Program admin support
Your school has a number of staff available to assist with the administration of a course, including getting the course guide into the CAPS system, setting up the course/s in SAMS, scheduling the course activities into Timetables using AllocatePlus, and entering student results via RPO. Please email email@example.com for assistance with any of these processes
College Academic Development Group support
Ruth Moeller, Senior Advisor Learning and Teaching (SALT) assigned to the School of Media and Communications is on call for help with course and program development, including Course Guides, and curriculum design considerations such as assessment and teaching methods. Ruth works most days in building 9, level 4 in the open plan workspace, and can be contacted any time for individual and group consultations.
Leigh Blackall, Senior Digital Learning Advisor assigned to Media and Communications is on call for all technical and design considerations, and will be working in MC offices (both VE and HE) full time in the 2 weeks leading up to the deadline. Phone 0404561009 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
Jen Farrow is standing in to help produce video while Yolanda Rios is on leave, to help people with making videos for their courses in Canvas (ie. the required Welcome video). Jen is offering DIY video workshops in Building 8 (see dates and register here), and Building 80 (see dates and register here)
Canvas Champions support
Suzana Janko and Shrutee Chandell are the Canvas Champions assigned to the School of Media and Communication by Rewire. Suzana and Shrutee support Canvas adoption and assess Canvas courses for compliance to the 14 Elements for Canvas Success - required 2 weeks before semester starts.
Suzana is available for individual consultations for VE in Building 94, level 2 on Tuesdays (1pm & 3.30pm) and Friday (9.00am - 12pm). It would be helpful if you emailed Suzana to let her know when you may come and what assistance you are looking for.
Shrutee is available for individual consultations by appointment. email@example.com
Canvas drop-in sessions
Project Rewire have a number of regular Canvas support sessions that are available for staff to drop-in and gain assistance with. We're expecting to hear confirmation of a number of School specific workshops in the next week:
- Assignments and grading
- Course rollover for Semester 2
- The 14 Elements of Canvas Success
- Live QA of courses
- General support with Canvas queries
- Monday 1-3pm Building 8.4.11 Megaflex 1 (not operating 21 May)
- Tuesday 1-3:30pm Building 9.4 Staff Room | 1-3pm Carlton Building 94 Library
- Wednesday 10-12 Building 9.2.9
- Thursdays 12:30-2:30pm Carlton Building 94 Library
- Friday 9-12pm M & C Building 94 staff room | 10-12pm Building 9.2.9 (commencing 1 June)
A full list of Rewire Drop-In Sessions are available on the Rewire website