So you’ve set up a Canvas group set added your groups, and assigned students (or students have assigned themselves) to groups, everything is going swimmingly. But now you need to know which students are in which groups.
Not an easy thing to find out in Canvas unless you’re prepared to trawl through the membership of every group you have. Fine if you have 5 groups, not so fine if you have 50. Right?
You need a group membership report, and it’s possible to generate one, with the help of this handy spreadsheet created by Jaap Stelpstra (Canvas community), and a little Canvas API magic. Download the spreadsheet, follow the instructions carefully, taking note of the setup pointers below and before too long you will have your group membership report. With a list of group members, including student name and student number, for each group in all group sets in your course.
Note: this has only been tested on Excel 2010 on PC and Excel 2011 on Mac, and may not run on new versions of MS Office (especially on Mac). If you are at RMIT and using Mac, check out Ric Canale’s Google sheet Groups Importer, Groups Importer User Guide and Course Group Importer Google sheet.
- In the settings:
- Canvas URL: https://rmit.instructure.com
- Canvas API token: refer to the guide: How do I obtain an API access token for an account?
- Content column A: select Full name (name surname)
- Content column B: select SIS user ID (student number)
- In the report:
- Enter course ID: canvas course ID (the numbers at the end of your course homepage URL i.e. https://rmit.instructure.com/courses/12345)