What is a Group Assignment?
Canvas group assignments allow two or more students to submit or demonstrate collaborative work, receive shared feedback and grades, or receive individual feedback and grades.
- Can be used for online text or file submissions. Students can submit one file or text for the entire group.
- Different groups can have different due dates.
- Cannot be used for Discussions*, Quizzes, Not Graded assignments, or External Tool (i.e., Turnitin) assignments.
How do I set up a group assignment?
- In Assignments, click + Assignment
- Enter the assignment name, description, points and type (see How to: Canvas Assignments for general assignment instructions)
- Select This is a group assignment
- If you want to give group members individual grades, select Assign grades to each student individually. If you do not select this, all group members will receive the same grade and same general feedback.
- If you:
- have already set up the Groups for this assignment, select the Group Set from the drop-down list.
- haven’t yet created the Groups for this assignment, click New group category, and then follow the setup process (see How to: Create Groups for instructions).
- Complete the rest of the assignment set up as you would for any assessment
When setting the due date for the assignment, you can set different dates for different groups using the Assign to space. See How do I assign an assignment to a course group? for more information.