What is Quiz Moderation?
Once a quiz has been published, you will be able to moderate it. The moderation tool allows teachers to view the following student usage data:
- Number of attempts
- Time taken to complete the quiz
- Attempts left (if applicable)
- Score achieved
Based on the analysis of the information displayed, you can give students extra attempts or extra time to complete the quiz or manually unlock quiz attempts.
How do I moderate a quiz?
To moderate a quiz, follow these steps below:
- Click the Quizzes link.
- Select the quiz you wish to moderate.
- Click Moderate This Quiz (right top corner).
- If you wish to moderate one student in particular, enter the name of the student in the Search People field.
- Click Edit (pencil icon) to moderate the quiz for the student.
- In the Students Extension window, enter the number of extra attempts to be granted to the student, or manually unlock the quiz for the next attempt.
- Click Save.
Blackboard offered the same functionality as Canvas, however what differed was the terminology used. In Blackboard, instructors could grant extra time or extra attempts to students via the Settings option in Quizzes.
To learn more about moderating a quiz, visit:
- Depending on the size of your cohort, Moderate Quiz information may take some minutes to update.
- If you have moderated a quiz while a student is completing it, the new settings will only be applied once the student completes the current attempt.
- If you wish to moderate a quiz for all students you can do so by selecting all students.
Can I import a question bank?
Yes, you can import a question bank into Canvas, however, there is a caveat. You can only import questions from programs that create QTI files. QTI defines a standard format for the representation of assessment, content, and results. This means that the questions to be imported must be contained in a QTI Package.
Can a quiz be regraded after it has been completed?
Yes you can regrade the quiz for automated marking type questions (e.g.: multiple choice questions, true/false).
click on edit quiz -> Questions -> select the correct answer (thus changing it) -> click the green arrow on the top left corner of the hover window -> This will open the regrading options popup -> select your choice and update.
Does Canvas record when a student starts a quiz?
Students can learn how to retake a quiz by reading the information in this page [Canvas community documentation].