You can send messages to students directly from the Gradebook, based on the status of their assignment or their performance. This tool can be really handy when marking students’ work.
Please note that the subject of the message will be automatically set according to what how you filter the students with the following available categories:
(a) Haven’t submitted yet
(b) Haven’t been graded
(c) Scored less than (point value)
(d) Scored more than (point value)
To send a message:
- Click Grades on your course menu to open the Gradebook.
- In the Gradebook, hover over the assignment title and click the drop-down arrow.
- From the drop-down menu, select Message Students Who…
- The Message students who for <title of the assignment> window open.
- Choose the category of students you want to message (i.e., options a – to d above) from the drop-down menu.
- Canvas will automatically show you the names of the students who fall into the category you’ve selected. If you wish to remove a student from the list, just click the X next to the student’s name.
- Canvas will create the subject line based on the category you selected.
- Enter a message.
- Click Send Message.