What is Conversations in Canvas?
Conversations is the in-built messaging tool used to communicate with a course, a group of students, an individual student, or an entire cohort of students.
Conversations allows you to:
- Send a message to someone in your course or group
- Send a message to yourself
- Reply to messages from others in your course
- Filter conversations by course or type
- View and reply to assignment submission comments
How do I use conversations in Canvas?
To start a conversation in Canvas follow the steps below:
- Click the Inbox link (under Calendar) on the universal navigation bar. If you have unread conversations, an indicator (in numbers) will be displayed.
- All conversations will be listed on the left. An unread conversation will display a black circle next to it.
- To read a conversation, click on it to open it. The content of the conversation will appear on the right.
- Once a conversation is selected, you can use the following options in the tool bar:
 Reply to a conversation
 Reply-All to a conversation
 Archive conversation
 Delete a conversation
 Forward, star or mark as unread