What are Discussions?
Discussions are online forums that allow members of the course to communicate with each other asynchronously. They can be set up as a whole class or a group forum, and they can be graded or ungraded. They’re commonly used for general course questions and answers, as well as conversations around course content. Follow the steps below to set up a basic discussion forum, or watch the video for further information including how to set up a graded discussion. For strategies and ideas about facilitiating online discussions, see the Further help and Usage tips sections at the bottom of this page.
How do I set up a Discussion in Canvas?
To set up a basic discussion forum:
- Go to the Discussions button on your course menu
- Click the red +Discussion button
- Give the discussion a topic title and enter your instructions or message in the text editor. You can link to files, pages or other canvas content areas by using the Selector on the right hand side, and you can format the text, add images or multimedia using the text editor functions.
- Click Choose File to Add an attachment if you wish
- Select the desired options. Threaded replies will allow students to reply to replies. Generally it’s a good option to select. See the Usage tips or the video for more help with these options.
- If you just want a general discussion for the whole cohort that’s available for the whole length of the course, you can ignore the last two options and click Save & Publish to make your discussion immediately available to students. Choose Save if you wish to work on it some more before making it available. Remember students can’t see it until its published.