What is weighted assessment? (and why do I want it?)
In Canvas you can use assignment groups to set up percentage weighting for the assessment items in your course, which then tells Canvas how to calculate students’ progress in the course, and automatically calculates grades for you.
How do I set up weighted assessment in Canvas?
First you must create your assessment items (called Assignments in Canvas) – For further assistance with this, refer to How to: create an assignment in Canvas.
- If you did not create Groups when creating your assignments, this is the next step.
To do this:
- Go to the Assignments section in your course and click the +Group button
- Name your group and Save
- Using the double dots handle to the left of the assignment name, drag the appropriate assignment/s into that group
- Repeat for as many different weighting groups as you need.
- Next, click the cog icon next to the +Assignment button and select Assignment groups weight
- In the pop-up box, click the ‘Weight final grade based on assignment groups‘ checkbox.
- Assign weights for all groups ensuring the total adds up to 100%, and click Save.
- If you wish to add rules to a group (count the top 5 of 6 assessments, for example)
- Click the cog icon to the right of the Group name.
- Select Edit
- Set rules as you require them, and Save.