What is Turnitin?
Turnitin is a text-matching software that assists students to demonstrate academic integrity in their work. It also allows instructors to easily provide feedback to students and assess their work quickly. Through Feedback Studio, instructors can engage students with targeted feedback.
How do I set up a Turnitin Assignment in Canvas?
There are two ways to set up a Turnitin assignment, however in order to ensure that the assessment is listed under the Assignments menu, we recommend you to follow the instructions below:
- Click on Assignments
- Click on Add Assignment (+ Assignment) button
- Enter the details for the assessment tasks (according to your design)
- In the Submission type section, select External Tool. Extra options will be presented to you
- In Enter or find an external tool URL, click on Find
- The Configure external tool window will pop up, choose Turnitin from the list and click Select
- Continue editing the assignment
- Click on Save
Once the assignment is saved, you will be taken to the assignment page, where you will see the Turnitin Assignment Inbox and Settings Tab. This is where you configure the settings for Turnitin, i.e.: originality report requirements.
How do I create a Turnitin assignment? [Canvas Community resources]
Creating a Turnitin LTI Assignment in Canvas [Turnitin Resources]
- Ensure that the due date for each assignment is the same under Assignment Settings and Turnitin Settings. This is to avoid confusing students.
- You cannot use Turnitin with group assignments.
- Students cannot submit multiple file uploads.
How do I submit an assignment to Turnitin on a student’s behalf?
To resubmit an assignment on behalf of a student:
NOTE: assignment settings must allow re-submissions (Check originality report generation and allow late submission settings) see Resubmitting of Behalf of a Student.
- In the Assignments section, click on the assignment title link
(Note need at least one submission to see the Assignment inbox list)
- In the options column click on the options menu ‘…’ and select ‘Upload’
- Confirm re-submission
- Enter title and select file to upload
- Click Accept Submission & Save
To submit an assignment (with no previous submission):
Using Turnitin with Canvas you must log in to the Turnitin interface to submit on behalf of a student. Here’s how.
- Log in to Turnitin
- go to: https://turnitin.com/login_page.asp
- enter your email address then click the link ‘Click here’ for ‘Forgot you password’
- when you receive an email follow the instructions to reset your password, and login
- Click on the the name of your course
- Under Actions for your assignment, click on view to view all assignments submitted
- Click on Submit File
- Select the student you are submitting on behalf of, details and select the file to upload
- Select Upload to load the paper
Can I use Canvas rubrics with a TurnItIn assignment?
- How do I submit a Turnitin assignment? [Canvas Community resources]
- Video: Submitting a Paper [Turnitin resources] (video)
- Submitting a Paper [Turnitin resources]
Accessing results and feedback
- Video: Access Feedback in GradeMark [Turnitin resources] (video)
- Viewing Instructor Feedback [Turnitin resources]
- How do I view Turnitin results for my assignment submission? [Canvas Community resources]
- Video: Accessing the Similarity Report and PeerMark [Turnitin resources] (video)
Turnitin in Canvas guides
- Student guides for Turnitin in Canvas [Turnitin resources]