Tony Cooper has asked for a range of ideas and ways for people to communicate their Trend Report Folio assignment, undertaken in the Fashion and Textiles Industry Research course.
Your audience will be fatigued
Put yourselves in their shoes, they have to look at a bunch of these in the same compressed time-frame. They’ve been doing this for years now. They are looking to quickly categorise and rate your work to criteria. They want to be impressed, and they want you to be impressive.
Extending slide presentations
You can show a slide presentation to a room full of people, but what if the person who needed to see it wasn’t there? Does your presentation communicate your message without you?
- Google Slides is good for groups working together from sketching to finished form
- Image stacks presented through album services like Flickr or Google Photo Albums
- Print on Demand services are connected to photo album services, or you can load your own files (such as a PDF exported from Google slides, to services like Lulu.com
Sometimes an idea can be brought to its simplest and most compelling form when framed by numbers, graphs, pie charts and infographics.
- You can get pretty sophisticated fashion data from services like Edited
- Or you can source your own by combining sources like Google Trends, Google Books Ngram Viewer, Google shopping insights
- Going further takes you into various social media analytics services, and social network analysis more broadly
A good slide presentation runs at about 1 frame per minute. A video runs at 25 frames a second. A good video can say a lot more than you can in 1 minute.
- Some phone cameras shoot in high definition. With the right lighting, audio level and a stable mounting surface for the phone, good video can be recorded.
Google’s Hangouts on AirYoutube Live will record video to your Youtube channel. You could use it to record interviews with people, presentations of your screen, panel discussions and even your oral presentation itself.
- Having a Youtube channel you can source other video and add them to playlists, edit your own videos, and distribute your presentations as video. Youtube supports emerging formats like 360/Spherical.