What are Canvas notifications?
In Canvas you can control how and when the system notifies you about different activities that are happening in your courses. Default notification come by email, but you can change that to include SMS or a number of other web services.
- Notifications are sent as one of four delivery types: send right away, daily summary, weekly summary, or don’t send.
- Notification settings can be set for a number of events that trigger notifications (such as course activities and discussions).
- Additional contact methods besides the default email can be added (such as SMS, Twitter, LinkedIn and Personal Email).
- Notification preferences are attached to your account settings and therefore apply to all your courses, they can’t be adjusted for individual courses.
- Notifications of announcements will be sent via email (with the default settings)
However it differs in that:
- In theory other notifications work
- Notifications can be sent via SMS, twitter and other web services
- Instructors and students can modify their own notification settings
How do I add a text (SMS) contact method in Canvas?
How do I add an additional email address as a contact method in Canvas? [Canvas community documentation]
Good practice examples
If you have any examples of good practice, let us know and we’ll share them here!